I myself am still in the beginning stages of running. I mean... I haven't ran my first half marathon yet. I had two opportunities and both times something came up to where I didn't get to run in it. So I'm still in the beginning stages of "So you wanna start running." Running is a great way to work out. I know that after I go running I feel so good about myself. I guess it's all those endorphins.
Let's talk about shoes. Many people will tell you "oh get this brand or get this brand." However, I believe to choose a brand that is comfortable to you. One word of caution though and I read this on the website http://www.therunningadvisor.com/ and that is to not go bargain shopping for running shoes. Don't just go to a store and look for the most inexpensive shoe. Some people think "well why am I going to pay so much for a pair of shoes I might not use that much." That may be true but the risk of injury is something to think about too.
Now I am not saying to go out and buy THE MOST EXPENSIVE shoe either or the latest most fancy shoe out there now too. To reference http://www.therunningadvisor.com/ again one must determine their pronation. Which is the way your foot rolls from heal to toe as your foot strikes the ground. One could have overpronation or underpronation, as well as just neutral. Underpronation is when your foot takes most of the strike on the outside of your foot. Overpronation is when there is to much rolling across from the outside to the inside.
Another thing to consider and to determine your pronation is your foot type or your arch. You may have a normal, low, or high arch. If you go to this website http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html there are picture provided that will help you see the different pronations of feet and archs. Running shoes come in three shapes; straight, semi-curved, and curved. Depending on your foot type is then dependant on your proper shoe shape.
-Overpronators should choose a running shoe with a Straight shape. -Underpronators should choose a running shoe with a Curved shape. -Normal/Neutral pronators should choose a running shoe with a Semi-Curved shape. (reference: http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html)
If you are serious about running it would be smart to get the proper shoe. I myself have not gone through the whole process of getting the right shoes but it probably would be a smart thing. You can go to a local running shoe store and have the help of professional shoe fitters. Might I suggest Capital City Runners off Thomasville Road if you live in the Tallahassee area. With the shoes I have now I like I got them a little to small (which is a very common mistake) because I have a toe at the moment that is all black and blue from it smashing up at the top of the shoe.
A great idea that I got from a friend (Melissa R. who got it from Christine M.) is to buy maybe two pairs of running shoes and alternate them each day because then they will last longer. If your calves or legs start to hurt when you run and they don't normally it's probably time for new shoes. What I like to do is I wear my old running shoes to the gym or bike riding and wear my new ones just for running. It's up to you but it is important to spend a little bit more for the proper shoe. Happy Running!!
No comments:
Post a Comment